Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Galapogos and what's happening

I finally got some internet speed to post the pictures and electricity always helps too.  We are getting a generator for our building but will take another 2 weeks to be completely installed.  Back to blackouts again...due to weather this time...I think.

The Galapogos were an amazing experience.  What was so cool was seeing wildife that adapted to such a strange and far away place. And, to see animals that "looked" the same, but actually had different DNA due to being on a different island.  We were able to see some very rare things like a short eared owl (didn't make it to the blog).  We snorkled and tons of angel fish, parrot fish, et al, turtles, and two sea lions who decided to jump in and check us out...or show off.  It was incredible.

Four days on the sailboat were just enough since our last night was a 10 hour sail back to Santa Cruz Island.  Xela was the only one who didn't become green and could not wait to get off the boat.  We then spent 2 days enjoying SC Island and 2 days in Quito.  The girls were really into learning about the wildlife and I was so surprised at how well organized and protective the Ecuador government and many other organizations were of operations of the Park.  You can absolutely not travel beyond Santa Cruz without a certified boat and guide. 

Quito was fun.  We walked the kids right into a pro-president rally by mistake, taking the kids to the Grande Plaza.  I was the only stand out.  So, they hung on to their dad. (the Pres. is buddies with Chavez so not so good for me to be walking around :)).  We ended up in a wonderful French restaurant, see pictures for more.

Read below to the nightmare I returned home to. But, we now have everything fixed and in order. Holloween will be posted next.  That was a wigged out experience.  We went with friends to Las Villas (where all the big houses that Chevron people live) to trick or treat on Saturday.  We were surrounded by Chevron security, victor and I were the only adults dressed up, (all the other dads  in kaki pants with polo shirts) and we were in a safe gated neighborhood - but really, the security detail with flashing lights on a truck, radios, et al was rediculous.  It just made them all bigger targets.  Probably like Denise walking up BeeHiveBasin with the SS.   The kids had a blast though and we ended up at a Chevron home for a garage party, although people were from all over the world, they are so insular.  The good thing is, I am branching out with friends from other companies that live independently like us and met one lady who is a RIOT.  She just got here and is basically on her own like me so we've been doing stuff together. 

I was offered a full time 5 prep (5 different classes) in HS English as the current teacher decided to break contract and return to her sick mother.  It is not my field, and I saw it as a huge challenge to be teaching and grading over 100 papers to ESL kids with 5 preps plus extracurricular duties, plus help victor with his business, plus help the kids with sometimes 2-3 hours of homework plus the usual orthodontist appts et al and living here.  Really, I am not qualified to teach HS English with the expectation that these kids are ALL to be in AP by 11 or 12th grade.  I offered part time, but the director didn't want that, so he got a new fresh, first time teacher who has never taught or lived overseas to fill the position.   I sought out advice from friends who are HS English teachers and they told me that I really should not take that kind of load on.  5 preps is actually more than most teachers ever have anyway.  I would have gone crazy. I appreciated the fact that I was offered the position but I am sure I shot myself in the foot for any other possibility at the school.

Isabella leaves tomorrow at 5am for her Volleyball tournament.  They play for 3 days then return late Saturday....hopefully.  The airport here is suppose to be closed this weekend.  They then leave for outdoor ed camp with the school for a week. The camp looks really cool, with ropes courses, a caving day, zip-line et al. Of course, (Chevron again) there will be escorted security.  It wigs me out not because I am scared, just that they create such fear-mongering and actual attention to themselves. 

Here is a typical injustice.  We have no Chevron kids on our bus, so our kids bus has a new pickup which is not on our route or even remotely close to our route. But, it is on the Las Villas/Chevron route.  But, Chevron rules are that their school busses (same bus service as us) do not make stops to non-chevron kids.  Chevron gives millions to the school, incorporates their security at the school so the same ol same ol....money and influence talk.  So, now we are debating switching the kids off the school busses for the morning route and hiring our own guy for the morning.  (transportation is not included in tuition) because our kids are sitting on the bus for an extra 20 - 30 minutes in heavy traffic getting tardies which lead into detentions.  Of course, there is no fighting this, just accept or make our own plans.

Xela takes her PADI test today, and victor, xela and I are all going diving this weekend.  Whew, almost there, and we are all certified divers.  Planning our trip to Angel Falls, sleeping in hammocks at the base of the falls, river trip for over thanksgiving.  That's my other job. Travel agent. I guess i better get on the Cuba trip soon too.

more later, s

No comments:

Post a Comment