Thursday, May 5, 2011

LIFE.......

We heard about all the snow in Big Sky, the girls and I certainly missed all of our ski buddies and skiing the amazing powder of the decade.  But, funny thing is, I personally did not miss the snow and cold.  I think I really needed a break from the long, long winters.   Our winter was busy with a lot of the same stuff as Ophir.  Isabella participated in the MS science fair and won her category which put into a round in the Asian International School Virtual Competition.  Not sure if she has the results yet. But, her team is only one of a few from SA which is kinda cool.  

Isabella though, is more busy with her social life of proms (MSers can go), Quinceria (15th "coming out" parties) which always include a request for dollars or Euros as gifts....this just floors me.  The invitations are elaborate and the parties over the top.....Isabella loves her friends and life here.   She hangs out evenly with MS and HS kids who are all really quite nice and good kids.   We are going to load up on dresses at the post prom sales at Macy's though this summer as the Quince parties are coming at us too fast now.  She says she can only rotate her dresses so much.  Last weekend, she was sick on Friday so missed a formal party, but got up and played in 4 basketball games, won the tournament and missed her award for MVP so we could run to the "mall" and get her a dress, get home, eat, do hair and off to prom with a gaggle of girls.  whew.  It exhausts me. haha

Xela in the meantime, is doing very well.  She has a great group of friends from US, Australia, Brazil and Colombia.  She went to a 20 hour birthday party with 19 other girls.   These mothers are crazy.  Hey, for me.....drop off 3pm pick up 5pm :)    The decorations, food, games, magician, party gifts would have taken me a year to put together.  Xela is the one who misses Big Sky the most.  We have committed to one more year and she is counting on that....she misses her buddies and Ophir soooo much.  But, in general she is happy as can be and social as usual and loves her teacher and school.

I miss my family and buddies in Big Sky. I miss my car and I miss the mountains. But, i also like being here together as a family and the opportunities being here gives us. So, I manage emotionally.   It is still very difficult to make lasting good friends here. I have a neighbor from Trinidad who I walk in the mornings with and our kids are the same age (boys for her) so we can help each other out with carpooling et al. She is a lovely person and she makes me laugh.  I also have a great funny, funny friend from Norway but she hates it here and they are not reupping their contract and leaving in 3 weeks after 2 years. boohoo

The Chevroids continue to be so insular but I heard they are quite like that in other places around the world as well.  There are a few who are nice enough so that I can hang out with them at games or go on walks with but it is really all "on the surface" type friendships.  First time in my life, that I haven't found female friends to connect with.  That all being said, this is where Victor works and so we just don't know what the future holds for us.  If it is one or two more years being here. 

I am becoming more involved with the school. I work about 2-3 half days at the school tutoring 2 girls from Indonesia.  They are muslim and very shy and do not speak much English.  They came here with Chevron and I am not sure what the family or the school was thinking....as their English needs a lot of work. But, they are going to camps this summer and they are bright so hopefully things will work out for them. I enjoy working with them.  I continue with some private lessons at home as well.  I also am helping the school out a bit with the current accreditation.  I continue to work out at the orphanage out in the country tutoring HS boys in English.  I brought my friend Lisa who was visiting and we ended up going out twice she became so in love with the boys.   They have had a lot of hardships lately with the "parents" leaving after 5 years, and new people coming and going until they are replaced. This has caused a few of the older boys to find other places to live or they have been kicked out because they turned 18.  Long story, very sad....it seems to be in turmoil right now.

I just had my friend Lisa from Philly come to visit. I now have a witness as to how much time is needed to do everything here.  haha.  She just came around with me doing basic things and it all just takes time.  But, we went to Margarita island for 4 days and had a blast.  We stayed at a great bed and breakfast named stevie wonderland.  great customer service and accommodations.  We hung out, got massages on the beach, ate fresh seafood, rented a car and drove around, drank beer and slept a lot.   We stayed a the famous beach El Yaque for windsurfing and kitesurfing.  The wind was really strong so that was our excuse not to take lessons.  haha.  Actually these people were soooo amazing to watch though.



Papa not so sure about letting her out the door for prom

Going out to the Mochima National Park Islands with friends from Norway

While at the beach with friends the Coast Guard was doing BootCamp....50% could not swim



It's orange season....i buy 100 pound bags and we make fresh juice everyday

Lisa at El Yaque

Margarita Island, Manzanilla beach

Lisa catching some zzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment